Monday, September 10, 2012

Home Concept Development

Inspiration Song/Poem

Our House

Our house is a house we built together
We have laid every brick one by one
We have nailed every board one blow at a time
Our house is a house we built together

Every board is not perfect some are not straight
Some walls are built in the wrong place
We must carefully remove those boards
We must carefully remove those walls

We must rebuild them in the correct place
We must replace each board one by one
Until the holes are all closed
Until all the walls are in the right place
When we finish we can stand back and say
This is our house, a house we built together
Jamey Einrem

 

This house that built me

I know they say you can't go home again I just had to come back one last time Ma'am, I know you don't know me from Adam But these hand prints on the front steps are mine
Up those stairs in that little back bedroom Is where I did my homework and I learned to play guitar And I bet you didn't know under that live oak My favorite dog is buried in the yard
I thought if I could touch this place or feel it This brokenness inside me might start healing Out here it's like I'm someone else I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could just come in, I swear I'll leave Won't take nothing but a memory From the house that built me
Mama cut out pictures of houses for years From "Better Homes and Garden" magazine Plans were drawn and concrete poured And nail by nail and board by board Daddy gave life to mama's dream
I thought if I could touch this place or feel it This brokenness inside me might start healing Out here it's like I'm someone else I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could just come in, I swear I'll leave Won't take nothing but a memory From the house that built me
You leave home, you move on And you do the best you can I got lost in this whole world And forgot who I am
I thought if I could touch this place or feel it This brokenness inside me might start healing Out here it's like I'm someone else I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could walk around, I swear I'll leave Won't take nothing but a memory From the house that built me
Miranda Lambert

Home: Concept Web

 

 2D Concept/Parti sketches



 Study Model

Front View

 Final Concept Model

Side View


Right Side View

Left Side View


 Reflection

When thinking of a home, there are many interpretations of that meaning. To help me describe what a home means to me, I looked to the poem Our House by Jamey Einrem and the song The House that Built Me by Miranda Lambert. My concept is that a home is a place the you dream about and make come to life, shown by all the spirals and swirling paper. A home grows as the time goes on, as represented by the fence. As the model grows, the “fence” grows taller, stronger and fits together. A home may not be perfect, but it is a place you call your own.
I continued to grow on creating 2D concept sketches that grasp my concept. My drawings first started off being a little to literal as I drew bricks, houses, and objects. My goal was to display my idea of a home more abstractly. I was able to achieve this by piecing together a couple drawings together.
The materials I ended up using worked well for my design concept as I want to portray a fence that started small and individual pieces being distant from each other, to eventually tall and placed together. The stand represents a strong foundation a home is built on. And the color brown to me represents building materials.
At first glance, someone may not be able to see exactly how this model represents a home. Through my concept development and explanations, I believe I achieved my goal of creating a cohesive model of my idea of “Home.”


No comments:

Post a Comment